Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Family Knows Me So Well

It began with my husband--always the first one up and going.  He hurried to me and pulled me outside with a, "I have a surprise for you!"


My Snow Crocus are blooming!  Our area is in zone 4, so everything is a little later here, but my house faces North West, so the front flower beds get the last of the winter sun.

A few minutes later, one of the girls hollered through the house, "MOM, MOM, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!!"

Not only was she proud to present the mounds of Snow Crocus, but also pointed out the Anemone.


I don't know if they are related to the wild Buttercup, but the early spring Anemone always reminds me of them.  Ohhhh, I just looked it up and they are from the same family.  No wonder I love them.  Buttercups are always such a delightful surprise!

Throughout the day, each child didn't just tell me the flowers were blooming, but had to show me.  By the afternoon, we also had the first of the Miniature Iris (actually from the crocus family, but you can see why they are named after the Iris).  It was yet another of my children that delightedly presented the display.


So, even though the earliest Daffodils and Tulips are still far off, I have flowers in my garden.  I have been drooling over the gardens of bloggers in more southern zones who are planting lavender and harvesting lemons, but I am grateful that I live in a cold climate.  Our cold winters make the spring flowers so beautiful because they are so needed!  I swear, the colder the winter, the brighter the colors of these first blooms.

If I am doing nothing else, I know I am teaching my family the delights of flowers and sharing the good news that they represent.

Aren't they (the family and the flowers) wonderful?

Anything blooming at your house?

1 comment:

  1. I love your blooming bulbs! Wonderful! I never planted my daffodils (it's a short window in SC), but my roses & lilacs are actually blooming! This last week has been super-dooper hot & I think the flowers are confused. Some people have daffodils & tulips & my late spring, early summer stuff is blooming.

    ReplyDelete