Monday, May 30, 2011

One Flesh

When I went to the doctor on Friday morning to confirm my worst fear, my husband was already at his new job over 500 miles away from me.  The plan was that he would live with his parents for two weeks while the big kids and I finished packing and cleaning the house before our closing date.  When we learned that Eowyn had passed away, Justin and my mom immediately got on the road to start the eight to nine hour drive.

I had so many questions and people I thought I should call.  I knew there were decisions to be made, but I couldn't think clearly or do anything until Justin was home.  My repeated thought was, I just have to wait for Justin.

At the same time, and unbeknownst to me, Justin was having virtually the same thought.  He was getting feedback from several sources.  All were doing their best to be helpful, but he kept saying, I don't know.  I just have to get to Emily.
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.  Genesis 2:24
This passage took on a new depth.

Last night, my husband did something funny.  It was completely unintentional, but it pricked my funny bone and I started laughing.  He tried to make it better and only succeeded in making it worse.  I couldn't stop laughing.  He saw the humor in it and starting laughing, which only feed my growing hysteria.  Tears streaked down my cheeks as we laughed together.

It felt so good to laugh . . . and to cry for a whole different reason.

It was only fitting that he was the instigator.  The loss of our daughter is difficult, but together, we will be okay.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have each other and share such closeness. I can understand-- when we lost Tessa Abe was so good to me and he fielded all phone calls and house callers. When we were in Omaha, Nebraska there is a church visitor's center with two yoked life sized oxen (stuffed) pulling a wagon. The sister missionary pointed out that each oxen on its own could pull 1,000 pounds, but together they could pull, not 2,000, but 3,000 pounds. She related it to the Savior, but I immediately thought of a husband and wife. When they are on the same page working together, they are so much stronger.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the tough times that truly make us appreciate the closeness/friendship/partnership that makes up a good marriage. You are Justin are a GREAT team together! Together you CAN conquer anything! You are truly blessed! When Chelsea and Steve started talking about getting married and she asked me for "advice". I told her to ask herself two questions. Is this the man she is willing to forsake ALL others for? Is this the man she wants standing beside her as they fight through the trials of life? If she could answer yes to those things then she would be fine. I know that the ONLY way I get through the trials that have come into our lives is because of the man I have standing beside me through thick and thin! We may not have it all together but together we have it all!

    ReplyDelete