Saturday, May 7, 2011

What to Move

 What do I keep and pay to move and what do I toss and possibly do without for awhile until said item can be replaced?

I have a mangled griddle that needs to go, along with our three-legged waffle iron, the chipped dishes and the handle-less laundry baskets.  My vacuum cleaner is more duct tape than vacuum and this lamp on my desk works, but you have to unscrew the light bulb to turn it off.  All of these things need to go, but I also need these things (or something like them) and I won't have the money to replace them after the move.  Is it worth our money to move all of this junk?  Are you aware of the price of gas?  The lighter the truck, the better, but if the items in question still work, is it really junk?  What came first, the chicken or the egg?  Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?  Why is the word abbreviation so long and why am I the only one who closes the cabinet doors in my kitchen?

You more experienced movers, what would you suggest?

6 comments:

  1. Will you be able to find nicer-than-what-you-have items at Goodwill? It might be worth getting rid of some things that are driving you crazy in the name of fuel economy. Moving is not my favorite adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very strict "move no junk" policy, and we move every 3 or 4 years, so that rule comes in handy. HOWEVER, the Army pays for our move (unless we go over the weight limit), so my advice may not be worth much in your situation.

    I guess you have to decide if it's worth your time to pack it and unpack it. And looking at what you've listed, it seems that you could replace the majority of those things for under $200 for everything. $200 is still a lot of money, but figure in fuel savings, and the time to pack them and unpack them, AND the cost of any packing materials. I'm sure it doesn't cancel the the whole $200, but it might make it a more manageable number when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest that the chicken did come before the egg. Just my thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always use moving as an excuse to get rid of stuff, but I'm also a stickler on purging my life every so often of all the clutter. I also have a policy that if it is still in a box 6 months to a year after the move, I probably didn't need it that bad anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbreviation is so long because that's how much the English language makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I can't help you with the kitchen cabinets, I alwasy leave them open and my husband hates it!

    ReplyDelete