Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Is Seven the New Lucky Number?

I certainly hope seven is the new lucky number because we are on our seventh house offer.  Three offers were withdrawn after severe problems were revealed at the inspection and on the other three, we were outbid.  This does not include the dozen or so houses that we have liked, but who have had a signed offer accepted before we could finish putting our offer together.

Because I am an analytical gal, I've noticed something interesting has happened to my house criteria from the beginning of our searching process until now. When I first began searching, I looked for an older home that was rough, but had heaps of potential.  I noticed and hoped for features like claw foot tubs, wood floors, original kitchen cabinets, and interesting built-ins.

Now, I have it narrowed down to walls and a roof.

We've tried to get a house without a kitchen, a house without a foundation, a house filled with black mold (the bank wouldn't lower the price enough to pay for mitigation!), a house with no (zero, none, zilch) back yard, and a house with such a severe cat pee smell that we could hardly stand inside for more than ten minutes together.  You would think that a bank would be thrilled to get houses with these kinds of problems off their hands--and have cash in their hands instead!  Not so.  My theory, see, is that they want their jobs.  If they can bicker over tiny details and never sell the houses in their inventory, well, job security!

The current bid is on a house with a lemon yellow room, a paint splatter room, a glow-in-the-dark greenish/yellow room (no, really, it glows in the dark!), a purple kitchen with pink counter tops . . . it would be fantastic!

Wish us luck.


P.S.  I have no idea who this darling lady is, but I adore her.  I'm going to have her sweet face, with her hopeful crossed fingers in my mind's eye to give me hope that everything will work out.

2 comments:

  1. Another pair of fingers crossed for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Color - an easy fix. Good luck on everything - I hope it works out this time! The lucky lady is adorable.

    ReplyDelete