Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Load of S#*%!

Five.

That is the number of houses on which we have lost the bid or had to relinquish the offer due to serious problems uncovered at the inspection.  Five times I have made up my mind to figure out how to make the best out of a less-than-fantastic situation.  Five times I have begun to make plans--things I could do to make the house work, bring charm and otherwise dish out that always needed TLC.  Five times I've waited on pins and needles, trying not to get my hopes up and failing, sometimes over the course of several days, as I wait for the gal at the desk at the bank to determine the future of my family.  Four times I pulled myself up from my bootstraps and pulled out my good attitude and optimism.

After the fifth loss, I'm bitter and frustrated and emotionally exhausted.

I understand Mrs. Bennet's frequent proclamation of "Oh, my poor nerves!"


I want to put on a frilly robe and sit by a fire tended by someone else and cry into my delicate handkerchief all day.  But I can't; I can't afford one thing on that list.  Well, except the tears.  I produce those in abundance.

Of course, if it was just that we couldn't find a house, I would probably be managing better, but there is more.

The house that we are selling, the one on which we are about to close, was just discovered to have termites.  Termites??  Really?  In a town that is "too cold" to have termites?  Honestly, I should have known.  Not because there was ever any sign of termites (apparently they are under the front porch), but because this week would be the week to have the most unexpected thing occur.  I had no use for that $1200 anyway.

And, to top it off, there are these damn little pregnant women all over the place.

Please excuse me while I go bawl in my old nightgown and blow into a cheap generic Kleenex.

I'm sorry about the swears.  I am currently indulging an impure desire to curse.

7 comments:

  1. I love swearing when I'm mad.

    Oh Emily. Life really sucks for you right now. I am so so sorry.

    I can't even begin to understand the underlining strength you seem to have. Where did you get it? Can I have some?

    Your children are so lucky to have you. You are remarkable.

    Oh and when I miscarried at 12 weeks...I found myself not dealing with life very well for awhile. It took some time to mourn the loss...and well I think I went into a depression I suppose. I just wasn't the same for a couple months...I'm sure you've heard it all...and I think you are more level headed than I am...but whatever the case, you're feelings right now, whatever they may be...are probably healthy, sad, but healthy...and I am not trying to give advice at ALL

    I just care...and I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-- that's horrible. I'm so sorry. Just when you think it can't get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Pride and prejudice reference. Often times in life I've wanted to scream "oh my poor nerves" as well.
    I love ya Emily, and know you will get through this.
    You are one of the strongest, brightest, and happiest women I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have all kinds of categories of cuss. Recreational Profanity (for a good joke), Home Improvement Profanity, Vacation Profanity...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so this month for you has reminded me of the scene from the little rascals (new version) when Alfalfa said "Then the clouds opened up and God said, I hate you Alfalfa." I know different, and so do you (see http://messagesfromthemothership.blogspot.com/2011/05/we-have-angel.html).

    But I laughed out loud at this blog heading! Never underestimate the power of a well placed swear.

    I know He loves you, and so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed a can-it-possibly-get-any-worse kind of laugh after this post. Termites? Seriously crazy. I'm singing along with Annie - the sun will come out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a good cry, sometimes you just need that. I am reminded of a story Sheri Dew told of helping a friend who wanted to buy a house- if not this one, something better. Something better often takes more time- dammit!

    ReplyDelete