Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Second Bathroom

Our little trailer has a few things that our old house didn't.  When it was listed, it was listed with 1.5 bathrooms. We hadn't had two toilets!  After touring the place, we realized we hadn't seen that second toilet.

It was a closet.  They had never, in forty years, put in a toilet.  They had never properly hooked up the sink.  Instead, they had lined the space with shelves and made it storage.  Storage is great and all, but I really want to lock the door when I'm taking a shower and not have to worry about a kid that needs to go NOW--for once!

Warning:  this is not a decorator blogger's Before and After.  This is me, in a trailer.  I'm not putting too much money into decorating this thing.  So, the paneling stays and I'm not painting a thing.

Before, but after we had removed all of the shelves.

We started with a few problems.  None of the plumbing was hooked up properly.  My brother-in-law, Derek, came and crawled under the building for us.  He hooked up the things in the underbelly.  I was super grateful to not have to get under there!  After that, I had to be creative to make new things fit old things, but we only had to go back to Home Depot twice.

The leak under the sink was due to this massive split in the drain pipe.  I was surprised water could find that opening!

For any of you who have done plumbing, you know.  No matter how carefully you plan, you always have to go back a few times.

Before.

The closet bathroom is only 6'x 2'5".  Is is about as small as you can get, but for a powder room type of space, you don't need any more.  This is what I'm talking about when I talk about smaller and smarter.  Love it!

But now, look at this:

I know.  I still need to cut off the bolts.  And I think this bathroom is calling for a carpeted toilet seat cover.  Ha!

A mirror and newly arrived toothbrushes.  

I have to tell you, it felt good to work on a project again.  It is so satisfying to see a big job done--one that will stay done for a while.  Now, back to folding laundry . . . 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, good work!!!! Second toilets are awesome.

    ReplyDelete