Monday, August 1, 2011

Unexpected Response

In the car this morning, my seven year old said, "I think it's weird that after the girl gets married she has the same name as her husband."

My ten year old daughter responded, "Yeah!  That's not fair!"

I geared up for a lively conversation about tradition, feminism, hyphenated names, unity in marriage and my own delight at my married name (my maiden name is difficult to spell--no one needs to have me spell my new name).

Before I could say a word, however, the first girl interrupted my thoughts.  "I know!  It's not fair," she exclaimed.  "I want my last name to be rubber duckling."

I mean, you just never know what the kids are thinking.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA... oh I love that child... ~~smile~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently they weren't really ready for that conversation yet.

    ReplyDelete