Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fireplace III

After making the walls of the base of the fireplace, I had to fill the great space in the middle.  The kids and I hauled gravel and small rocks to the back of our property to do that job.  After watering it overnight to make sure it was settled, I placed the firebrick (found at the local cement place!?).  The actual fire-building area is 30" x 18".  That little grill in there was found somewhere on our meadow and was placed there by one of my helpers.  Eventually, I will have my dad (Dad?) build me a custom grill to fit the bricks.  That way, we can use it as a charcoal grill during an emergency (or an adventure, whichever).

Here is another view. I started putting stones up the back to begin the chimney, but ran out of steam.  I have put on my work clothes to motivate me to get out there.  Although, I will have to enter my garage to obtain tools and, not knowing the status of the mom and pop mouse, I don't know if I have the courage!!  I wish I had a hazmat suit.


2319!!

1 comment: