Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fireplace Progress

Today, my back and hamstrings are super sore.  Super.  Because yesterday I spent the entire day moving rocks.  Remember this pile?


I spent a good amount of time trying to categorize my collection.  

Massive rocks:


Basketball sized rocks:


Hand sized rocks for chinking:


I built a foundation with the heaviest rocks set in concrete.  Then, like a giant's puzzle, fitted together the base of the fireplace.  It measures 6'x4' and is about 2' high.  Though I am using mortar, I do not want a heavily mortared product.  In other words, I want it to look dry-stacked.  It seems more rustic to me.


It was supposed to be a coolish day, but ended up in the low 90's.  I wanted to stop--really wanted to stop, but I had all this wet mortar that had to be used.  It was a binding time frame.  I have rarely been so physically exhausted!

Today, hopefully, I will fill in the interior of this base and lay the firebricks. (Did you know that regular clay bricks will EXPLODE if they get too hot??)  Now, to find firebricks locally.  Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I'm still trying to get my laundry folded. How do get so much done??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete