Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Outdoor Fireplace Reveal

 The fireplace is near the back of our property.  Eventually, we will landscape around it, but, like my dad said the other night, he likes that it has a Lamppost in Narnia appeal as is.


And . . . Ta Da!


 See that tiny pile of rocks in the background?  That is all that is left of our huge pile!  Hard to believe how many rocks went into this thing.  From ground to capstone, it is over eight feet tall.


Grasses, berries and leaves from our meadow.  Big stump seat from Joette's backyard.  Squash from my parent's garden.  
The pumpkins from Safeway.


As you can see, it is only generally square.  I didn't want it to look like masonry and I didn't cut any of the stones.  It has a pioneer quality about it, doesn't it?


I am not in love with the capstone, but with this much forest around us, it is a safety precaution worth looking a little off for.  It was obvious during our first fire that it nearly eliminated embers from escaping the chimney.


There you have it.  Took long enough, huh?

11 comments:

  1. Emily, you are a work of art. Absolutely amazing. I want to come and sit around that thing and sing songs now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Did I tell you that I love your blog?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo impressed! I love it! And I love that you built it with your own hands! How incredible!!! I can't even begin to imagine all the wonderful memories you and your family are going to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are insane..mother of five that builds her own fireplace! There just isn't any obstacle you can't overcome is there my dear? You are walking inspiration my friend! It turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is AWEsome, Emily!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible Congratulations on the Fireplace!! It is a Masterpiece!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly amazing, love the "Lampost in Narnia" look as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to do this exact design in my backyard. How is it holding up? Any issues with the mortar crumbling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been using the fireplace regularly since I built it nearly five years ago. We have harsh winters with lots of snow. Only July and August are generally hot (well, hot for us northern types). I have had one stone come loose, but upon examination, I discovered it was poorly supported. The rest of the fireplace is very stable--no other loose stones or crumbling mortar. I would say the biggest problem with the fireplace is that during the hottest and driest times of summer, we don't burn (we are surrounded by precious forest) and the wasps move in. Wasp nest removal is about the only maintenance we do! :)

      Delete