Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Quaking Aspens

Immediately behind our property line, there are a few dozen acres of undeveloped forest.  It is an area that was subdivided into five acre building plots.  The developer, who lives in Arkansas, improved the land (built a road and put in water and electricity), and sold one plot.  Then the economy tanked and he pulled it all off the market.  There are, therefore, no backyard neighbors.  I doubt the Arkansas guy would care that we are using this horse trail (we see horses on it frequently).



Take this trail, preferably with your canine companion.  Go past the Order of the Phoenix Club.  Next time you write Phoenix on anything in permanent marker, be sure to make sure whether the e or the o comes first! 


When the forest starts to thin, you will be in the right place!


Here we have a wide expanse cleared of the forest.  One look up and you understand why:
Power lines.


On one edge of the clearing, the forest has begun to creep back in.  I know the electric company will be here sometime in the next year to clear these trees away.  They are getting too close to the buzzing lines overhead.  


I dug out eight Quaking Aspen saplings and transplanted them to my yard.  I'm hoping to eventually have a small grove butting up to the pine tree forest behind it. 

Under the Aspens, I'm going to cover the ground in this natural growing Kinnikinnick.  I'm hoping it will maintain a wild feel, but more manicured than the crazy patch of everything that is there now.  

Imagine this (Kinnikinnick):


 Growing under this (Aspens):



Kinnikinnick is a deep, glossy green and has the added bonus of these gorgeous red berries in the fall.  
(When I was looking up the spelling of Kinnikinnick, I discovered that it makes an effective tobacco.  
Is there an income potential here?? )


I love the colors of fall and I can hardly wait to see the golden fire of these Aspens here next year.

But for now, I need to go haul eight buckets of water to the trees because I don't have irrigation out that far. At least they are native plants so they should maintain themselves soon!

4 comments:

  1. Here is my Phoenix-spelling-trick that I burned into my mind years ago.....

    When I think of the word, the only pronunciation/sounding that comes to mind, for me, is:

    PHO - E - NIX

    Aspens are gorgeous in the fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had to spell Phoenix- hopefully I'll remember how if I ever need to.

    One that I always had a hard time with is "weird", until someone taught me to remember that "we are weird" haha- whatever works.

    I love Aspens too! Are those the berries that you had on your fireplace? It's going to be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year is really the first time that I have noticed Aspens and I LOVE them!!! They are everywhere here in West Virginia. I love how they start turning at the top of the tree and work down. I definitely want them at my place when we can finally stop moving around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandma did the same thing when they moved into their house decades ago. They'd be driving along, and all of a sudden she'd stop and they'd get out and dig up a little sapling, then bring it home and plant it. Those little saplings are now taller than the house. There are areas of her yard (or rather my sister's yard, now that she's living there since my Grandma died) that's like walking into a forest.

    ReplyDelete