Friday, November 18, 2011

My Prayer Experiences, Part One

Getting ready for family prayer--many, many years ago!

Two Days Ago

It was time for my monthly run to pick up our son, a round-trip drive of 1000 miles, over three mountain passes. The plan was for me to leave when Justin got home from work, around 6 pm.  Earlier in the day, I heard a news report that warned of a snow storm coming in to town at around 5 o'clock.  Because of an appointment, the earliest I could leave was 4, but I figured that was better than leaving later.  I went to Justin's work and swapped cars (his gets much better gas mileage and has snow tires), explaining that I was trying to outrun a snow storm.

Each time I make this trip, I try to bring just one of the girls.  It makes for a good, long date.  This time, it was the three-year old's turn.  I buckled her in and we took off for the mountains.  In my hurry, I went through two towns and was half-way up the first pass when my glance took in the gas gauge.

Empty.

Not the at-the-E empty, but the below-the-E empty.  Justin had planned to fill it up for me on the way home from work.  I was 35 miles from the nearest town.  It was very cold outside.

The human side of me dismissed prayer, reasoning that it was my fault for not checking and Justin's fault for not mentioning the empty tank.  I thought of my little girl in the back seat.  I did think to pack some blankets and we had some trail mix.  We would have survived, but it would have been a cold  night--especially when that storm caught up with us.

Then the divine side of me kicked in and I thought of the widow who fed Elijah the last of her oil and meal.  And yet, the scripture says:

And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah. 1 Kings 17:16

Dear Father, I prayed.  I know that thou art a God of miracles.  I know that thou didst cause that the cruse of oil should not fail.  Please, expand the gas in my tank.  If it be thy will, help us through.

Putting my trust in the Lord, I did what I could 1.  I held down the clutch whenever I was going down hill.  I had heard that 55 is the most fuel efficient speed, so even though the speed limit was 75, I slowed it down.  Then I prayed that my faith would also hold.

Long after that little car should have run out of fuel, we pulled into a gas station.  Never a sputter, never a cough.

Do you believe our Heavenly Father is a God of miracles?  For me, there is no doubt.

-------------------------------

1 "If you have a difficult task before you, Heavenly Father is pleased when you get on your knees and ask for help and then get on your feet and go to work. He will help you in all your righteous pursuits, but He seldom will do something for you that you can do yourself."  Reference Link

No comments:

Post a Comment