Thursday, November 10, 2011

New Town, New Dentist

One of the things I don't like about moving is finding all the new people you need: doctors, dentists, mechanics, donut shop, etc.  It is risky and can be frustrating if changes are needed.  Today is our first day with the kids' new dentist.


I have had a wide range of experiences with dentists.  When our oldest was two, I took him to the dentist I had been seeing since I was a little girl.  He poo-pooed me with a, "You don't need to bring him in for a couple of years yet."  Since that wasn't what the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry was telling me, I decided to go to my sister's kids' dentist.

If it is possible to love a dentist office, this one was worthy of it.  A great waiting room, the most delightful staff, professional care, and my children loved to go to the dentist.  A perfect score.

Then, we moved.

The next dentist was going to have big shoes to fill, but he didn't even kind of do it.  I won't tell you about the nightmare experiences we had there (and I am a pretty easy-going mom).  It was BAD.

Next, we tried out the family dentist our librarian recommended.  He was good.  Nice, clean office, competent and lovely staff, completely acceptable experience all around . . . except that he made me feel like a terrible mother at each visit.  No, we don't brush enough.  No, we don't floss at all.  No, I don't brush my kids' teeth until they can write their names in cursive--they brush their own.  Yes, we eat candy.  Yes, we eat sugar.  Yes, a couple suck their thumb.  Yes, one bites her nails.

Look, they are at the freaking dentist every six months and they are dressed appropriately for the weather.  What more do you want from me, man?!

With this most recent move, I began looking for recommendations.  You really want to hit the nail on the head the first time around because of the rigmarole of the first visit.  What a pain.  I started with the most recommended and  . . .

they don't accept medicaid.

Second office doesn't either.

Third office only accepts medicaid patients under the age of eight.  Exasperated, I said, "That only covers half of my children!"  Once I explained the situation, they kindly scheduled all of my people.

This is a point I try to make with local businesses:  we are a good investment.  If you get one of us, you're going to get six more (and we won't always be on state insurance).

So, we're off.  Off to fill out general information, medical history worksheets, dental history worksheets, HIPPA forms and Emergency Contact paperwork for them all.  Wish me luck.  I honestly hope we get a hole-in-one.

***

Got another trip planning poll for you.  Top left corner.


1 comment:

  1. The key to any successful relationship is boundaries and communication and that has never been truer for anyone than it is for the pediatric dentist. While most doctors must contend with patients who don't want to be there and are not cheerful, happy little campers about the process, they at least have patients who understand the expectations upon them as a patient to not do things like bite the doctor or scream for mommy. Many kids have a fear of the dentist. All those tools that dentists use can be frightening for a kid at first glance. Understanding what those tools are and what they each do can help. Kids also need to know that the dentist is there to help. With a few fun activities and a dose of education on dentists, you may be able to alleviate your kid's fear of the dentist.


    Kids Dentist Marshall MN

    ReplyDelete