Thursday, December 29, 2011

Grandma's Fudge

This is me with my wonderful grandmother.  I love her so much and I will treasure this picture for the rest of my life.  It is a pretty good indicator of what I will look like in my eighties!


Just before Christmas, our family went to see her.  She is a remarkable lady--and she makes wonderful fudge.  She made a batch of fudge while we were there, so I grabbed my camera and followed along.  This post is mostly for me, my siblings, my cousins, and all of our children, but if you want to learn how to make Grandma's Fudge, here you go.

First you need the right pan.  Grandma told me she got this pan when she was a newly-wed--from a woman who had just purchased a whole new set.  I wonder if the new set lasted longer than the sixty+ years this one has been going!

2 Cups of Sugar


2 Tablespoons of Baking Cocoa ("One tablespoon of cocoa per cup of sugar.")


Mix thoroughly.


Add 1 Cup of Milk.  ("Oh, any kind of milk will do.  I always use skim milk because that's the only kind I buy.")


Now, move to the stove and set it on High.


Grab a kid to stir.  Next time, cut his hair before you let him out the door.


You'll need to stir constantly until it starts to boil.  


Then, turn down the heat to about 7.


And let it really boil away.  It will grow a lot so make sure your pot is big enough at the beginning.  It will need to boil for "6 or 7 or 8 minutes."


In the meantime, gather the last of your ingredients:  vanilla, butter, peanut butter and walnuts (optional).  Grandma likes this foil pan and reuses it until it falls apart and then gets out another just like it.  


My grandparents served a mission in 1989 to Corpus Christi, Texas.  They bought all of the Mexican Vanilla they could and brought it home as souvenir.  She thought she had run out a couple of years ago, but found this last bottle at the back of the cabinet over the refrigerator.  It is the best vanilla.


Toward the end, Grandma says to really stick with your fudge.  She says it's easy to get to doing other things and not realize how much time has passed.  You'll need to get a cup of water for this last part (DO NOT dump the water in your fudge!).

You'll be dropping little drops of fudge into your water.  This is too soft.  She let it boil a little longer.


Try again.


It is getting closer, but there should be no tails.  Here is a better picture of the little tails that we don't want.


When they form a nice ball, remove the fudge.  This all happened really fast and I was in the road with my camera so I didn't get a picture of the perfect ball.  Sorry.

Next, you'll put 1 Tablespoon of Butter ("a pat about the size you would get at a restaurant"), a splash of vanilla, and a scoop of peanut butter (I would guess it was about 3/4 Cup of Peanut Butter).  "I never measure this part," said Grandma as she plopped in a heaping spoonful of peanut butter.  After it is all whipped together, toss in your walnuts.


Poor it into the pan and give the spoon to the kids.  

I'm telling you, it is wonderful and super easy--and there are no fancy ingredients or tools so you can make it any time of the year!

Thank you, Grandma.  

Grandma Anderson's Fudge
2 Cups Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cocoa
--Mix thoroughly--
Add:
1 Cup Milk

Cook on High, stirring constantly until fudge boils.  Turn the heat down to medium-high and let boil rapidly for about 6 or 7 minutes.  Test in water 'til at soft ball stage and remove from heat.

Stir in:
3/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Tablespoon Butter
Walnuts

Poor into pan.  Let set-up and cut into small bites.  Enjoy!  (And you will!!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, she is cute! You are cute too, but it looks like you'll just get cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture of the two of you- I'm sure you (and your children) will treasure it forever!

    Thanks for sharing the fudge recipe- I love all the pictures- I might even try it one day. If I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete