Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Traveling with My Little Friends

One of my new friends in my new neck of the woods took her eleven year old daughter to France last year.  Just the two of them.  Amazing, right?  What is the story?  I have been wondering about this for a while and finally had the chance to ask her.

Here is a picture of the two of them.


She didn't post many pictures on her blog (probably because of creeps like me).  But as I was looking through them, don't laugh at me, I teared up.  What a beautiful experience to have together!  What a lasting memory, one of love and time alone.  No little sisters allowed.

Now, here again, writing about it and I'm crying.

Here's how it worked.  She and her husband had decided long before that they wanted to have an individualized vacation like this with each child and wanted to have the added bonus of an amazing cultural experience.  (Kind of like the Passport to Purity Weekend on steroids.)  They were supposed to go when her daughter was twelve, but when they discovered another baby was on his way (and knowing baby's can't be away from Mom for many months after the baby comes) they decided to go early.  She explained how they carefully build up airline miles and how she cuts out many other luxuries so she can afford to travel.  Good tips for another post.  Suffice it to say, they work hard to make travel a priority in their budget.

Guess what I did for much of the morning.

My oldest girl wants to go to Italy.  Okay by me!  Let's look into Italy!




Costco has these amazing packages.  I'll need a few years to save up, but she is still only ten.





















My next daughter wants to go to Brazil.


South America?  :et's do it!  I'm so excited!


The reality is that we'll probably be following Isaac around the globe.  If I can take just one child with me each adventure, that will be amazing enough.  Got a Summer Intensive in Romania?

Well do a tour of the castles before we pick you up.  What about Vienna.



Twist my arm.

I know you have a great opportunity with the Danish Ballet.

I could possibly swing that, 

but only if I can bring one of your sisters.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I want to come & be your luggage-carrier. :) Just don't pack too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome and fun idea! I love it!!!!! I confess, it even made me a little emotional just reading about it and thinking of what an incredible experience it would be! And the whole seeing their older brother dance would be like little candies on top of the icing on the cake! I'm going to have to give this some thought....wonder if we could make it work in our family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily! Love your post. You just inspired me to finish blogging about the rest of our trip!

    ReplyDelete