Friday, February 10, 2012

Cleaning Up the Diet

It started with the January seed catalogs.  I slowly searched every picture on every page.  Corn on the cob.


  I need corn on the cob.  Ohhh, fresh raspberries.


Doesn't that juicy goodness sound perfect right now?   Look at all the varieties of green beans!

Some of them aren't even green.

Then I read  this short and simple article in the Ensign.  I almost skipped it because, heck, I know about nutrition.  But, I read the captions to the pictures which got my attention enough to make me read the couple of paragraphs that made up the article.  Then I thought about it for the next couple of days.  The point about eating fruits and vegetables "in the season thereof" reminded me of the seed catalogs.

A few days later, I had a conversation with my mom about the article.  I told her about the need to be more sparing with meat.  When I really thought about it, though, I realized that I do use meat sparingly.  I'll use one pound of hamburger in a huge stock pot of vegetable beef soup.  I can make one whole chicken spread out over three meals and that is just the meat; I also boil the bones and get six to eight cups of chicken stock to use in recipes later.  We haven't had bacon in probably six months because I refuse to pay those prices. If beans will work just as well, I use beans.  I don't think meat is our problem.


Then I saw this picture on Pinterest.  The caption said The Way to Store Fruits and Vegetables.  I took it as a mild tongue-in-check joke.  Yes, the fruits and vegetables should fill the fridge.  When I clicked on the link, it actually was a practical source on effectively storing fruits and vegetables.  Useful, I s'pose, but that is not why I loved the picture and the joke the pinner didn't know they were making.

While waiting for my daughter at piano lessons, I was looking through a Real Simple magazine spread about healthy snacks.  The ideas looked so delicious.
Orange and Walnuts
I had this for my snack today and it was as delicious as it looks.
Tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar.
There are a whole bunch of great ideas in that article so go check it out.

I firmly believe that our bodies tell us what we need.  I need more fruits and vegetables.  I need less sugar . . . way less sugar.  I'm not going to cut out sugar, but I know I have a little problem with the sugar.  

This diet of mine needs a little spring cleaning.  The vegetable garden planning has commenced!


2 comments:

  1. I seriously wouldn't mind if my fridge looked like that (only add eggs, milk, and cheese). Partly because it looks so yummy and healthy, and partly because it would mean that I was planning (and making) healthy meals and snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you do Bountiful Baskets? I like it because it forces us to eat up more fruits and veggies than we otherwise would.
    Mary Ellen Fox

    ReplyDelete