Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How to Sew Reverse Applique

Shirt #2 for our upcoming trip.  I decided to try a reverse applique.  It was super easy and made me want to try it with a more complicated pattern.  Here is the How To.

Materials:  Craft store t-shirts--one to wear and one to cut up.  These were on sale for $2.50.  Also, cloth scissors and paper scissors, thread, a template and a marking pen (crayon works, too).

For our purposes, I wanted a simple silhouette of Mickey.  I printed a couple of sizes so I could experiment.  Cut it out with those paper scissors.

At this point, I put on my shirt so I could figure out where to put the applique.  I put a pin at the top and bottom of the location.  You don't need to pin the paper, you are just marking the spot.  

One time, I was working in the Emergency Room as a Unit Coordinator and someone brought in a bunch of left-over corsages from something.  They were supposed to be given to patients, but it was a slow night.  They sat there looking longingly at me.  I decided to put one on--because nothing says classy like fresh flowers on generic blue scrubs!  I kept getting weird looks through the night, but I figured it was because I was wearing a corsage with scrubs.  At the end of my ENTIRE shift, I saw myself in the mirror of the staff room.  I had pinned that thing too low and it had fallen a bit.  It looked like I had some kind of floral torpedo coming out of the center of my breast.  From then on, if I can't look in the mirror while pinning anything on my chest, I always err on the side of too-high.

So, make sure you look in the mirror to mark your spot.  You do not want it to look like a Mickey "eye" patch.

Turn the to-be-cut-up shirt inside out and trace your template.  Cut it out with room to sew.

The arrows are pointing at the pins I put in my shirt earlier to mark the place.  

Pin it in place and remove your marker pins.  You do not need a broken sewing machine needle today.  Make sure the wrong side is facing up.

Stitch all the way around your marked Mickey and turn it right-side-out.  It should look like this.
Carefully, and I really mean carefully, cut out the top.  Do not cut through the piece sewn in place.  This would have really been easier with smaller scissors.

That's it.  (I am expecting it get a little rougher after it is washed.)

The boys' shirts are done as is, but I'm adding a couple of feminine touches to the girls' shirts.  When you divide that extra shirt by the seven I used it on, each shirt cost $2.85.  Not a bad price, eh?  That is worth a little time at the sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment