Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dear Void

Tonight, two children were baptized.  As the Primary President, I am often invited to say a few words at the end of the service.  Tonight was no exception.

I prayed and thought and searched the scriptures for the right thing to say.  I realize that I am a heavy hitter; I don't believe children need to have the gospel spoon fed.  We live in a difficult world, but their spirits are strong ones, preserved for this time.  They hunger for the "meat" of the gospel and I think sometimes we adults are shy in giving it to them.

Well, I thought I had found the right topic for my address tonight.  It didn't come out quite right, but, you know, I didn't think it was terrible.  But as I drove home, I started thinking about what I had said and began to get nervous.  Ill placed, poorly conceived, half-hatched were some of my reactions.  My husband happened to be there so I asked him what he thought.  He said, "Well, that's why I always think about what I'm going to say before I say anything."

So now I feel super stupid.  Did I embarrassed myself.  I'm pretty sure I did.  Worse, I'm not confidant that my words invited the Spirit.  My brain-pounding thoughts were keeping me awake--I can't stop rehashing--so I thought writing it out might help.  In the immortal words of Kathleen Kelly (aka Meg Ryan) from You've Got Mail, "I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void.  So goodnight, dear void."

2 comments:

  1. FYI, your husband is an idiot. I thought what you said was wonderful and appropriate.

    Don't lose any more sleep over it, or else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Careful there, that's my son-in-law you talking about! :-)

    ReplyDelete