Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Big Sur

On our way up north, we decided to get there via The Big Sur Highway or California 1.  


The water was spectacular.  Here is another view, one without the girls.  Look at the variations of blue.


Once you are on the highway, you are committed.  The road is narrow and often dangerously close to a cliff which ends in a rocky ocean.  If you take this scenic drive (and I suggest you do) go from south to north.  It isn't nearly as scary being on the inside lane.


There are lots of places to pull off and enjoy the scenery.  This is a good thing because it is a long and winding road.  Everyone can tend toward car sickness if you don't stop frequently.  Also, the need to let the plethora of fancy sports cars pass the fuddy-duddies in the minivan is prevalent.


This looks like a good place for lunch!


Just about every day I packed sack lunches for the family.  It was a bit of a pain, but made the day run much smoother.  I'll write more about the food on our trip in another post.


My darling girls.


One of the cooler stops on our drive included watching the Elephant Seals.  We watched them for 45 minutes and could have watched longer.


They were all over the beach, though we are to understand this was a slow time of year.  They were odd and interesting and funny to watch.  Even more so than people watching at some of the tourist sites we visited along our journey, which is saying something.


There was an outside chance that we would see migrating whales, too.  We stopped several times to stare out into the deep blue in hopes of see a spout.  Being natives of the forest, we aren't sure if we saw one or not.  


My daughter took this photo of me.  Funny to see what I look like to her all of the time--looking up at me, that is.  It was windy on the coast, though it looks like I filled my shirt with pillows.  :)


We couldn't have picked a more beautiful day and the ocean put on her best dress.  
The Big Sur Highway gets two enthusiastic thumbs up.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Thank you for these pictures.....until the day I take my family on the famous California Highway 1!!

    ReplyDelete