Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Carmel by the Sea

One of my top priority stops, if we were going that way anyway, was the small town of Carmel.  I have been reading about this place for years.  I have seen every house and building on the internet.  I couldn't wait to see them with my own eyes.


It did not disappoint.  I could have spent a weekend there, but had to be content with a couple of hours.  


I was without the camera for some of the time so I don't have many pictures for you, but you don't need them; they are all on the internet already.


That night, when I got to my hotel room, I googled "Bavarian Architecture" and guess whose blog popped up?  Our architect!  

I love the colors of this place.  The gray-green with the trim just a shade darker.  I also love the shake roof, but am pretty sure code doesn't allow that in our neck of the woods.


Treats from the candy shop.


The town is filled with art galleries. My eight year old loved each one and while we didn't take the time to go inside any of them, we passed slowly by the windows.  The boy didn't appreciate them and did a bit of scoffing.  Then we saw this:


That is a sculpture of Nureyev.  We went inside and discover the gallery was full of ballet sculptures by a master sculpture.  They were likenesses of dancers from the Royal Ballet in London--many of whom Isaac knows well from his constant YouTube watching.


It was good for him to see that there is a gallery for everyone.

I wish I had more photos of this amazing town and I wish I had more time to spend there.  Next time I'll go without everyone else.  I'll walk more slowly and do it all day.  Still, I was glad for the time I had.  Can't wait to meet with our architect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment