Friday, May 25, 2012

Oregon

When I was eight years old, my parents took us to the Oregon Caves in southern Oregon.  I had never been to a cave like that--one with formations.  It was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Since that day, 27 years ago, I have been in many, many caves, (I think they are all cool) but still have a special place for the first.

They have a 42 inch minimum height restriction, so our youngest couldn't go.  She and Daddy wandered around the National Monument topside.


My four older children and I ventured in.  Many times the guide talked about preserving this or that "for our children and grandchildren."  It was neat to bring that home--I had come as a child and things were preserved so they could come.  This photo is where some of the earlier venturers signed the stones.  They also broke off stalactites as souvenirs.  We've come a way in terms of preserving!



I was surprised how much of the tour I remembered.  At one point, I even noticed where they had made a change in the route.  In fact, I'm almost positive that we exited where we used to start the tour.

Outside the exit--that used to be the entrance.
The kids loved it.

Another stop in Oregon included Crater Lake.


Justin did his 5th grade state report on Oregon.  He has wanted to visit Crater Lake ever since.  We finally got him there.


Before it became Crater Lake, it had been called Deep Blue Lake, Blue Lake and Lake Majesty--any of those three would have been more poetically accurate.  Crater Lake is so left brain.


Isn't it remarkable? And we were there on a bright, overcast day which caused a lot of reflection on the surface.  There was still too much snow to get any kind of close to the water.



There you go, Justin.  Thank you for doing your report on this place all those years ago that implanted the desire to see it.  It was a breathtaking stop.




2 comments:

  1. I love that last picture with your whole family- awesome! And I have to admit that one of the first things I thought was 'what a big family'-which makes me laugh inside because I think the same thing every time I see a family with more than 4 children- and then I wonder if my family looks like that to other people. I don't think of us as a big family, but I don't usually see all of us at once, plus my children are all still small. It also makes me wonder what people must have thought when my parents took all 8 children (ages 4 to 16) on a trip to the West coast about 30 years ago. Maybe that's why 4 still seems like a small family to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Crater Lake. Just an amazing and beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete