Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Privilege of Picking Up the Tab

This is our six year old.  


When we first started planning our trip, we decided to take a page from my parent's old playbook and ask the children to each pay for one meal for the family.  They all happily agreed, but this one had an unusually excited attitude.

Whenever we go out to eat, which I'll admit is not that often, we always encourage the children to order for themselves.  Consequently, even our most shy children can politely and accurately order a meal.  However, when we introduced the idea of buying the meal for the family, she got SO excited.

"You mean I get to tell the lady what we want to eat?"  Yes.  "You mean I get to give her the money?"  Yes.  "You mean I get to get dinner for my WHOLE FAMILY?"  Yes.

I am not exaggerating when I say that this is one of the things she has most anticipated about our trip.


Look at that wad of money.  You know she worked for months to save it.  She did odd jobs for me, my sister and my mother.  She picked up pine cones, swept pine needles and carted away weeds at our landscaping gig.


She didn't want to buy a toy.  She didn't want to buy candy.  She was thrilled to use it this way.


The whole time we were eating, she kept saying how happy it made her.  She was proud of herself!

After always being the one to receive, it feels so good to give.

I totally understand that.


2 comments:

  1. How cute is she??? What a great idea to have each kid pay for a meal. I love it. And props to your daughter for pulling it off - she looks pretty dang excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea-- I'm glad she was so happy about it. I can envision some of my children not being quite so thrilled with the idea. What a cutie she is!

    ReplyDelete