Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Post Wherein I Scare the Bejeebers Out of the Architect

It happened, it happened!  We had our first meeting with our Architect.  His name is John and you should get to know that because I'm sure I will refer to him a lot over the next year or so.

I fell in love with John's work last fall when I saw this:


 I still think it is the cutest stinkin' house plan.  It is too bad that those particular plans wouldn't work for us!

Back to my story.

I have been waiting for this day for a LONG time.  A long time.  I stay awake at night stewing over the oddest things (how far away from the trunk of my car can the kitchen be?) and I finally have someone who can do something about the thoughts I have.

John came on a rainy, stormy morning in June.  I could immediately see that he was a quiet sort--maybe shy, maybe just quiet.  Probably he is that one thing I've always wanted to be but can never manage; he was probably demure.

I really wanted to jump up and down and clap my hands.  I really wanted to hug him and hold hands with John and my husband and the three of us skip around the meadow ring-around-the-rosy style.  Alas, I had to settle down.

Still, I'm pretty sure I freaked the poor man out.  I can be a little over the top.

Okay.  For those of you wondering, I'm going to share our whole experience here.  John came in with his portfolio.  ALL of his homes were way too big for our budget grand.  We are definitely thinking more along the lines of cozy.  After a few minutes of him taking notes of the off-handed remarks we made (Love the windows here . . . Oh, look at the stone . . . Too big, etc.), we moved to the computer.


I had tried to have my pictures in order, but that didn't really work out in practice.  We would be talking about windows and I would show him a picture that illustrated my idea.  Justin would ask a question and John would give us an answer--always quiet, always subdued.

Then I would clap and squeal and my husband would give me that look that means, You are off your rocker and you're freaking out poor John.  So I would try to temper again.

This first meeting was all about sharing ideas and getting questions answered (from both parties).  We sketched out bubble diagrams.  He took notes and made quick suggestions.  We have a low budget compared to what he is used to, but he took it all in stride.  He wasn't at all appalled when I suggested faux timbers!  Awesome!


He looked at all of my pictures and drawings and didn't laugh at me once--even when I showed him The Seven Dwarfs Cottage as inspiration!  Now he will take all of the information we gave him and he is going to go back and get started.  He'll write up a cost proposal and send it to us for review.  


We hope to be in our house by Fall 2013.  I plan to write all about it here because I'm sure many of you are curious about the process.  Ready?  Set?  GO!

1 comment:

  1. Promise you'll post pictures of the whole process. I'm so excited to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete