Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Landscape Design


This is how our meadow looks right now.  It is full of wildflowers and waving grasses.  It is about the most peaceful place in the universe.  I love the ocean, but for me, nothing beats the soothing lullaby of flora dancing in a fresh mountain breeze.


As we plan our Someday House, we have to think about landscaping.  Something I see a lot is a garden that is too sculpted for its surroundings.  This house, for instance, blends well with the forest setting, but the stark landscaping sticks out like a sore thumb.

Ug.  That lawn and the perfectly pruned shrubs take away curb appeal!

When my brother was in town last week, we took a trip to a local Japanese Garden.

I don't know why because it's really not a great photo, but this picture makes me laugh.
I don't want to disrupt what I've got going with the meadow and the wildflowers, but there is a bit of control that must be done so that our land is usable.  I think the Japanese garden style is just the ticket.

I love the interplay between the different greens and dark reds.  And I love that all of the hardscapes are natural materials--wood and stone--with a careful use of water.

Here is an image I snagged from Pinterest that portrays the same kind of tamed natural setting.


Sometimes divisions are required in a garden.  You can fence an area without it detracting from the beautiful setting.


This isn't to say I won't have color or vegetables, but it will be carefully placed.


Ah, yes.  We cannot compete with God's garden, but even in the Garden of Eden, 
Adam was instructed  
"to dress it and keep it."  
Genesis 2:15

So we shall . . .
in our own Eden.


1 comment:

  1. Nice post!!! picture looking very cool. thanks for shearing it with us. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete