Monday, August 27, 2012

Not a Twelve Year Old Boy

I am going to throw a bit of a fit today.  It was prompted by two events: the most recent Project Runway and this report.  

First, the report.  It states that over half of Americans are overweight or obese.  I'm not making commentary on the report other than to note that more than half of us have a BMI of 25 or higher.  

Here is a chart from the CDC to help you understand what that looks like:

HeightWeight RangeBMIConsidered
5' 9"124 lbs or lessBelow 18.5Underweight
125 lbs to 168 lbs18.5 to 24.9Healthy weight
169 lbs to 202 lbs25.0 to 29.9Overweight
203 lbs or more30 or higherObese


Next.

Project Runway had a "make-over" type theme.  A person recommended a friend for a make-over, including new hair, make-up and a new outfit--designed by an up-and-coming designer.  These women represented the report quite aptly.  Some were "healthy weight" and many were "overweight" or "obese."  One of the designers (who was not a tiny guy himself) was a HUGE jerk to his girl.  She was there for a fun day of pampering and feeling better about herself and instead she was made to feel fat and ugly.  The dress he designed for her was horrible.  Shudder.  

So, let's talk about this.  If over half of us look at least like this:


Then why does all of our media (including Pinterest!!) insist the ideal is this???


When did it become beautiful for a woman to look like a 12 year old boy . . . with a rack?  Or a death camp survivor?

When did glorious curves become a "problem area" to be solved?  
I have to say, I am in love with these vintage ads.



Anyway, I'm not saying we should be thrilled with being unhealthy and I'm not encouraging women to stop exercising or eating healthy.  I'm just saying that maybe we should have a more beautiful expectation for ourselves. Those crazy teenage boy abs are not as sexy on a woman as soft, shapely hips.  And I wish our media would catch on!


3 comments:

  1. I hear ya!
    When I do exercise videos I am always left to wonder, is every area of my body a "problem area?" I well aware that me bum is a problem area, but my chest? the backs of my arms? My back? Apparently I am just one big problem area.
    MESSED UP!!
    It is like a crusade to get women to hate themselves. Satan must love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I went shopping at WalMart the other day - it is rare because of the lines & the fellow shoppers & the boxes in the aisles & not being able to find stuff. Anyway, we are trying to save money & I needed coconut & peanut butter & didn't want Costco-sized quantities. I walked around for forty-five minutes looking high & low. It was super easy to find the crap & nigh impossible to find anything healthy & minimally-processed. If the most commonly visited grocery store makes it impossible to find the good stuff, won't most people just give up? By the way, I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete