Friday, November 9, 2012

A Perfect Autumn Evening


Our land produces quite a bit of yard waste.  Tree trimmings, dead tree removal, branches and twigs that fall out of the trees and other organic waste.  Most of those things are too big for a compost pile, so since we live in the country, we have a periodic bon fire.


Since Isaac was in town and there are few things teenage boys like better than a huge fire, we had a party.  We invited my sister and her family, my parents and the brothers.  

I made home-opened, canned chili and cinnamon rolls.  When we moved several years ago, I tried every cinnamon roll in town and none compared to Cinnabon--which was hundreds of miles away.  I made it my business to create a perfect recipe.  For a few months, I made cinnamon rolls at least weekly until my recipe was refined to perfection.  Kevin, my brother-in-law, gave me the key to the city.  I'm not sure he has that authority, but it was so graciously offered that I had no choice but to accept.


The weather was crisp, but not frigid.  The food was good.  The entertainment was delightful and the company was top notch.  (I am so glad that my kids love my sisters kids and vice versa.  It sure makes for fabulous family time!)  Sweaters, flannel, stocking caps, hands clasping warm bowls.


It was, all told, a perfect autumn evening.

This one shows off the sheer size.  It took a while to burn down!



3 comments:

  1. That was so much fun. I mean I've had a lot more fun before, but that was at Disney Land. So, yeah it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun!!! Are you willing to share your cinnamon roll secrets?

    Jenna

    I started a new blog & my signature is goofed up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I do hope you'll share the recipe.

    Your "home-opened, canned" chili made me think of something my visiting teacher said. She brought me a cute little felt bag that looked handmade. When I asked her if she made it she cheerily responded, "No, but I bought it myself!"

    ReplyDelete