Sunday, November 4, 2012

Better

I had a much better day today--a great day, even.  After I left you last night, I was happily embedded in my grump-fest.  We had a baptism of a niece and a nephew.  The church building where the service was to be held is about an hour from our house so I picked up Justin from work to save time.  As soon as he got in the car I warned him that I was queen of the jerk world right then.  He gave a little I-am-familiar-with-this laugh and asked why.  For the next fifteen minutes I blurted out every big and small, significant and stupid reason that I was bugged.  When I was through and he had given his feedback, I took a deep breath and exclaimed so all of the Suburban could hear, "This is why I love your father!  He let's me get it all out then goes to work to get me balanced."

After the baptism, we stopped at his work to pick up his car.  Needing some quiet time, I grabbed at the chance to be alone.  I told him I wouldn't be coming straight home. I searched all over town to find a place that was still open to get my toenails done.  They were all closed!  There were no good movies in the theater so I picked up a cheap DVD from Walmart, bought some shiny new polish for my toes and headed home.  I cleaned the living room, cleared the table, sent everyone to bed and watched my love movie.

I'm not sure what part of that formula was the key ingredient, but with them together, I was healed.  Because of the time change, we had an extra hour before church.  Justin and I had some quiet time together before the noisy pods woke up.  I had plenty of time to get ready for church, find shoes for all of my kids, feed the small ones, fix hair, brush teeth and get out the door without any lost tempers.

Church went pretty well, considering we are preparing 85 children for the Sacrament Meeting Presentation and today was the first practice.  Also considering the fact that there were three infant blessings and I still struggle with my own loss during those tender moments.

We had waffles for lunch and then I took a nap.  A whole nap.

After the nap, we went outside for a fire and had some good family discussions and retelling of old stories.

Everyone wasn't all happy all the time, but my patience was back and I was able to put out the fires without losing it.

There you have it.  Reality from in a nutshell.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog, Emily, because you are so real! I love that you share your hard times and your good times! I relate so well to many of your experiences and thoughts. Hope you have a wonderful and productive week!

    ReplyDelete