Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hair-ggravation

My hair is getting long again.  I have thick, generally bodied hair.  This is the look I'm going for:


This is what it usually looks like:

(Actually, I'm not going to show you.
Imagine me in last night's make-up, greasy bangs and hair in a tight bun at the nape of my neck.)

Sometimes my hair looks really great, but not all that often.  I do try to do interesting things with it, but I am bobby-pin inept.  It may look just like the inspirational photo when I leave for church, but by the time Primary is over, it is a hot mess.


The problem is that I like my hair!  I like the color and the warmth on my back.  Why is this the problem?  I don't have to look at it, except during those getting ready moments in front of the mirror, but my husband does.  He would never say anything hurtful, but I think he's getting bored with the bun.  He says he wants something above my shoulders, below my chin.  (I've done pixie a few times before and I'm pretty sure he doesn't like that on me, though, again, he won't say anything if he thinks it would hurt me.)


I wouldn't really mind cutting my hair because I do like change, and hair is such an easy change, except for one major situation:  I am entering my fat stage.

Some of you luckies gain weight on only certain areas (bottom, belly, legs, etc), but when I gain weight, it goes to my face.  I've already gained 20 pounds and probably have another 30 to go.  I used to worry and struggle with this; now I just know it is part of the way my body makes babies.  That understanding and acceptances doesn't make me feel any cuter!  I still feel round-faced and double-chinned.

Long hair is supposed to elongate.  This is the time I need elongation.


So, I'm stuck.  What do you think I should do?


_______________________________________________

Totally unrelated, but pertinent because it is December 1st, here is a link to my advent if you are interested.

3 comments:

  1. I have similiar dilemmas, I like my hair short, my husband does not, I hardly ever do anything with it either long or short, etc. etc. etc.

    This last change however has been my most favorite and I've gotten a ton of compliments, a lot more than usual. Now don't freak out, but for me it was the right kind of perm. I wanted curly, and I got it, but this time the lady that did it used these long rod ones that are then hooked together in a big ring. Basically instead of being as kinky as a regular perm, I got really cute ringlets that are super easy to deal with and really cute, most people tell me they thought it was natural curl and I have absolutely none of that. My hair is a little past my shoulders but not much. This is definitely my favorite so far of everything I've tried, and I've tried a lot! But it may not be for everybody but you can see the curls on my latest facebook picture. Warning, if you do go this route, it is spendy especially if your hair is longer, but totally worth the little energy required to look good. My husband is a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar delima- my hair is always in a ponytail and I get kind of tired of it myself. I thought about doing a spiral perm, like Kara, but just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a perm. I found that if I get a bit of texture/layers around my face and at the back that I don't mind it down as much and it stays down rather than in a ponytail. The best cut I ever was this type- the thing I loved about it was that if I just let it air dry it still looked nice- not as fancy, but nice. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I do love your long, THICK, luscious hair... but you look lovely no matter what you do.

    ReplyDelete