Thursday, January 10, 2013

Aging/Pregnant Again

I am officially 36 years old.  While that may not be old old, I am definitely older.  I am also almost in my seventh month of pregnancy with my seventh child.  While that isn't as many as some amazing women, it feels like a lot right about now.

Not as old as Sarah and Abraham, but feeling like it.
I recently admitted to myself that I don't feel good.  Not depressed or sick to my stomach or any easily definable not-feeling-good.  When pressed, I suppose I would say I don't feel strong.  I'm having too many late pregnancy symptoms (separating pelvis, waddle walking, breathlessness, getting out of bed creakiness)  too early in the process.

This realization forced me to analyze the situation and helped me come to some conclusions.  In the past 18 months or so I have had some significant lifestyle changes.  First, we moved from the city to the country.  Where I used to walk everywhere (bank, post office, church, parks, etc.), I now have to drive.  While I work physically harder in the summer, mostly gardening, the winter provides much less opportunity for physical labor.  Second, I moved into a single level home.  I'm not running up and down stairs all day hauling laundry baskets.  And third, my children are getting older and don't require me to carry them and all of their stuff around.

The lifestyle that used to keep me reasonably fit has been abandoned.  I realized that I can longer rely on my every day activities to keep me in shape.

Do you think Sarah practiced prenatal yoga?  I'm going to have to check out ancient Mesopotamian workouts.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate! My problem is that I started late (had my first baby at 31). I often wonder how different I would feel if I had been 10 or even 5 years younger when I started. I'm 38 and we'd like to have one or two more- but they've come so close together that I've had a hard time taking off all the weight. I'd like to take a few years off and lose some of the weight, but then I wonder if it's better to be having babies when I'm old or fat, hhmmmm.

    ReplyDelete