Monday, January 7, 2013

Snow Cream

When I was a little girl, every once in a while we would get a huge snow.  When that happened, we could always count on the treat of all treats:  Snow Cream.

My mother made it for me just like her mother made it for her . . . and so on for generations.
Talk about a time honored dessert!

You can only make snow cream after a huge snow because the first few inches clears out the sky, then you need several more inches to gather.  Today we had a huge snow.

 I've been watching the picnic table and knew no child or dog had contaminated the snow.  I tromped through the nearly knee deep snow and scooped up a great big bowl full.


Then I brought it inside.  Cheering promptly ensued because there is no reason in the universe, other than snow cream, that mother might bring a big bowl of snow into her kitchen.


I added about 3/4 cup of sugar . . .


and about a pint of cream.


I poured a couple of teaspoons of vanilla into the cream before I poured it on the snow.  It just helps to spread the love.


Voila!  The ultimate winter treat!  It has the light consistency of snow with the sweet creaminess of ice cream.
Amazing.


I think the rarity of it makes it better.
You seriously have to try it after your next big snow.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - this looks delicious! We never ever ever get that much snow in South Carolina but it looks like a tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh- love this!! We haven't had a big enough snow to do it with my own children yet :(. We always made it with milk, but the cream sounds soooo much better. Here's hoping for a big snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to save this because one day I will live where it snows again and I must try this. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete