Sunday, January 20, 2013

Swamped

Do you ever feel like you're just not doing it?  Like everything that is supposed to be happening under your watch is slipping?  I feel like that lately.  Here is a list of my overwhelmedness:


  1. I have not written one Thank You note for Christmas or my birthday (two weeks ago).  I am an avid Thank You Note writer and feel super guilty for not getting it done.
  2. This coming Tuesday is a Science Fair for our little home school group.  One child has done a large chunk of a pretty cool project.  Another really tried, but it totally failed.  The two other girls have ideas, but need help to put it together.  Having never been to a science fair, I don't what is expected and as their teacher, I should know that.  I have known about this for months.  Typical.
  3. I visit teach four single mothers who all are needing an extra amount of tender love and care right now.  Two are expecting in March.  I'm doing pretty much nothing to help them.
  4. On Saturday we are having a Primary Activity to kick off the theme for the year: I Am a Child of God.    I have a semi-major role to play and haven't prepared one lick of it.  We will have nearly 100 children (age 3-11) participating.
  5. Sunday is Ward Conference and I have Sharing Time for Primary.  Shouldn't be a big deal, but I know all of the Stake leadership will be there to witness me try unsuccessfully to wrangle our huge, boisterous group into reverent worship.
  6. Isaac accidentally left a few things home after his long Christmas holiday.  I have to remember to go to the post office this week and that is a difficult errand for me to remember.  Always has been.  I don't know why.
  7. Tuesday is my mother's birthday.  What do you get for a woman who has everything she needs?  Last year I brushed her hair for an hour.  
  8. Our toilet is slowly sinking into the bathroom floor.  I am pregnant so I need to use the restroom a lot. Luckily, I am pregnant and can't fit under the trailer so my husband will have to handle this one.  (Even though he will be the actual laborer, it is still causing me stress.)
  9. Speaking of major problems with our trailer, two outlets in the kitchen suddenly stopped working.  The breakers are all where they are supposed to be.  Does this mean rodents are chewing their way into our house or is there a major wiring problem that will make my house burst into flame in the middle of a frigid January night?  We'll need to discover the answers in the next day or two.
This is the stuff that is coming up.  It doesn't include all of the other ways I am failing in my duties as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, disciple, accountant, and neighbor.  Let's not even mention blogging!

So, what am I doing right?  Well, my kids are happy and they love each other.  I made dinner every single night last week--not one whatever you can find meal.  I'm growing a baby and have done better with taking care of my body.  Ummmm, that's about it.  Really. I'm like Wile E. Coyote when he runs off a cliff and his feet keep pedaling, but he is about to plummet to the desert floor below.  


There is nothing on my list that anyone else can take over for me.  I need to gird my loins and get to work.  

Deep Breath.  Teeth Grit.  Prayer Offered.

Here we go . . . . .

4 comments:

  1. You can do it! I believe in you!!

    And maybe for your mom's birthday you can write down one of your favorite memories of her.

    Sorry, that's all the help I've got. I wish I could go to the post office for you. Or I could help make dinner for you so you could work with your kids on their projects. Since I can't do any of those things, I'll pray for you instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dear Friend-- I HEAR YOU! My question is, why does it sometimes bother me and sometimes I am calm and at peace even though I'm not really getting it all done. Which leads me to believe it doesn't have much to do with what's actually getting accomplished (that level holds about steady).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every good mom feels just like this at times. I love that you remembered to look at what you ARE getting done. I have to remind myself to do that quite often. A few days my friend shared this quote with me:

    “We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is we know when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our best, we experience a peace.” ― Marjorie Pay Hinckley

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! I feel overwhelmed frequently, but especially now, but my list is not as exhausting as yours. You are super talented though & it will come together. The unimportant stuff probably can fall by the wayside too.

    Science Fair? The bain of my existence!!! Here's a link with hints & directions on display boards & write-ups & all. I wish that I would have discovered this two & one half children ago. http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/science-fair/project-ideas? Jared's experiment & data were due two weeks ago. Experiment conducted but no progress on the write-up. It will be a late night tonight as the new & improved deadline is tomorrow morning.

    I love the Sister Hinckley quote above. Genius woman!!

    ReplyDelete