Thursday, February 28, 2013

San Francisco Part III: He Dances

He Dances


Friday afternoon and evening was the contemporary category.  Isaac had never presented a contemporary dance and I had no idea what to expect.  Even after he danced, I had no idea.  Over the years, I have come to understand classical somewhat, but with contemporary, I couldn't tell just what was good and what was bad.  Were they supposed to do that?  Was that an accident that turned out nicely?  I couldn't tell.  Isaac's dance was weird.  He was beautiful, he filled up the stage and expressed great emotion, but I had no idea what to think of it.  Once again, I had to trust Sergiu's taste and experience (he chose the music and choreographed the piece).

After he was done, he didn't want to sit around and watch the other dancers--he felt it would make him nervous.  So we left.

We went to the hotel so he could shower, remove his make-up, and eat dinner.  We all felt a little giddy and needed to move so we went to get ice cream. I had remembered a cute frozen yogurt place near where we had eaten the day before and thought that sounded good.  Upon entering, we discovered it was a self-serve type of place with eight or ten varieties of frozen yogurt (pomegranate, cake batter, raspberry) plus every topping option you could imagine (Reese's, Captain Crunch, animal cookies, every kind of fruit, jelly beans, hot fudge).  Here's where it got complicated; you could mix and match as much as your heart desired.


She got half red velvet cake and half chocolate with a random sampling of toppings.  She was delighted with the freedom to choose.  At least it was a decent size.  
The boy?


He got a freaking bucket of dessert. Pomegranate with strawberries and Captain Crunch.  
I got vanilla with cookie dough and chopped peanut butter cups.  Tried and true--no risks with my dessert! Delicious.

Just around the corner was the Apple store.  San Francisco was an Apple town.  I don't think I saw anyone with a smart phone, tablet or laptop that wasn't Apple.  Isaac was like a kid in a candy store.  He wanted to touch every screen, listen to every device and stroke every case.


Someday, son, someday you can buy yourself something with this symbol. 


Until then, you are getting the sale thing from the local Shopko.

Coming up tomorrow, an early morning and classical.  The vacation is over.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Emily, what a grand adventure! I'm so excited to hear how it all turned out!!!!.....

    ReplyDelete