Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blessing Day




In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a baby is given a name and blessing by the Priesthood.  

(It is similar to a Christening, though without the baptism part; we save that ordinance for when the child is eight years old.)  When I was sixteen years old, I made a blessing gown for my future babies.  Our first-born is a boy, but since I didn't know if I would ever have girls, we decided to go traditional and have him blessed in the blessing gown.  After all, boys have worn Christening Gowns for centuries!

Then I had all these girls.  
The Blessing Gown I had made got plenty of use.
When our new brother was born, our oldest insisted that his brother would not wear "a dress"!

This baby boy was named after a grandpa and a great-great grandpa.  A couple of weeks before the baby was born, my mother-in-law brought out that great-great grandpa's Christening Gown.  


This beautiful Christening Gown in 154 years old and has been carefully preserved.

Sewing machines were not used by the general public 154 years ago.  
That means that a loving mother hand-stitched these million tiny stitches.    

After the loss of our last baby, I had a hollow, empty feeling in my womb.  For over a year, I struggled with the heartache of not knowing whether there would ever be another baby to fill my empty arms.
To say that this baby was wanted is a drastic understatement.  
He was needed.


The pregnancy was emotionally very difficult and his delivery was physically the hardest of them all.  
Night after night, I prayed and pleaded with my Heavenly Father to help and strengthen me.  
Night after night, He did.  
That father, the Father of my Spirit, loves me.  
His love for me is greater than I can comprehend; the way I couldn't comprehend my mother's love for me until I felt that love for my own child.

My Father's love for me is greater than mine for this needed baby and greater than that of the mother who, so many years ago, lovingly stitched those million perfect stitches.



In every condition in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land or the sea
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!
--How Firm a Foundation by Robert Keen


How could I ever?

4 comments:

  1. I just cried! What a beautiful post, Emily! You are so amazing, you're family is amazing, what a blessed child to come to your home!

    And I love that he ended up in a blessing gown after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - amazingly beautiful details and adorable baby. Sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't emphasize enough how much I adore that blessing gown! I used vintage blessing outfits for all my boys but would have especially LOVED something as special as that gown! Your boy is beautiful and such a blessing to you and your family. Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this made me cry. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete