Monday, June 24, 2013

More About Florida

Okay, I just need to write and post.  Sometimes I don't post because I don't feel like I have a thoughtful/clever/meaningful thing to say; then I get stuck and don't write anything.
Tonight, I've decided to not try.  I'm going to click-clack-publish!

Right down the street from our hotel was a Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum.  I had been to one on the Oregon Coast years ago and thought my big kids would get a kick out of it.


Don't they look amused?


Ha!  
They actually did enjoy themselves more than the picture suggests.  It is such an odd place.

At one point, I saw a huge display about Florida's lightening.


This I do believe!  Nearly every day we were in Florida there was a major downpour, most of the time accompanied by major thunder and lightening.  One particular time, Eliza and I were in a hurry to get back to the theater.  I pulled into a parking place and Eliza jumped out.  

"Oh, Mom!  It's a huge puddle!"
I apologized for parking so that her door opened onto the puddle, whereupon she replied,
"No, Mom.  The entire parking lot is a puddle!"

I took off my shoes and stepped into the giant, parking lot sized puddle.  The water easily covered my ankles.
As we were wading running into the building, the thunder cracked loudly around us and I wondered if were being stupid.  I later learned that the theater had been struck by lightening only moments before our arrival.  

Once again, nothing like home!

Another attraction we visited was the Medieval Times Dinner Show.


My husband and I had gone many years before and I remembered it being cool.  I thought the kids would get a kick out of it and boy was I right!  The food was good (not amazing, but good), but the show was great.  The performers did indeed perform, but they were really horsemen at heart.  They put on a beautiful show with the horses.  

The jousting, sword fighting, and lame plot line were fun, too.  Our knight received a flower from the princess and tossed it to Eliza.  She smashed it in a book and brought it home.

Baby, as you probably could have guessed, slept.


Such a good boy!

The Orlando castle was the first built and they also had a super cool medieval village.  They had several buildings that were pretty historically accurate.  This kind of crap is right up my alley.  I love dusty and old and falling apart.  Love it!  I didn't take pictures, but if you ever go, it was a worth a visit.


Although, I suppose, you do have to be willing to suspend reality and play along.
Being a musical theater type of person myself, we will definitely be going back with our younger set someday.

1 comment:

  1. It's so fun the hear about your adventures in Florida! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete