Friday, August 23, 2013

Parade of Homes

Last weekend was the Parade of Homes in our town.  Unlike years past, this year, I was actually shopping during the tour.  While I wasn't shopping for one of the houses, I was shopping for materials and sub-contractors.  When it was time to go, I made the announcement to the kids, "Get your shoes on!  We're going to the Parade of Home!!"  Their shoulders slumped and the looks on their faces pleaded, 
Please, no, Mom.  

"What?  You don't want to go?  I'll be gone for most of the day, are you sure?"  

General rejoicing ensued.  
I delightedly sneaked out with only my baby in tow.  
It was so much fun!

I looked at pretty paint colors:


I looked at pretty closet doors and other inspirational wood:


I looked at flooring (and got more excited about that than any other thing!).  When you are looking at a sample in a showroom, you get to see an 18 inch piece of the flooring.  This way, I was able to see not only an entire floor, but I was able to see it on a high-traffic day.  Several flooring options were ruled out during the Parade because it was too loud or showed footprints altogether too easily.  


I was introduced to new products like the Slate appliances.  They are gray, but not high-maintenance stainless.  Unlike white which stands out and black which looks so cavernous, slate sort of disappears into the cabinetry.


And I looked at great landscaping ideas.  These are real wood trunks made into fountains.  Cool, huh?



Builders, please hurry up and get back to us with your bids!  I can't wait to get started!!

1 comment:

  1. ooooh- I'm sooo excited for you! And I'm excited to see all the updates along the way!

    ReplyDelete