Sunday, September 22, 2013

End of Season Camping

First we had to wait for Isaac to come home from Connecticut.  Then we had to wait for my good husband to be next in line for vacation hours.  At long last, we finally got to have our long camping trip of the summer.

**Beware**
I am about to blast you with a bunch of pictures!


This lake is just north of us, just south of the Canadian border.  It is one of the most beautiful places on planet earth.


And we had it to ourselves.


These beaches are usually full during the summer, but two weeks into the school year and they were virtually deserted.


In some ways it was a little freaky (big bear country), but in most ways it was delightful!


The weather was absolutely perfect.  Absolutely.  Cool in the mornings and evenings--perfect for hot cocoa and sitting around the campfire--and hot during the day.  


The kids were well behaved, helpful and not whiny.  My dream come true.


I was actually feeling quite bad going into the week.  
We have to raise $25,000 for our son to go to Russia.  
We are trying to build a house.  
It was the first big week of school stuff and we were missing dance, art, piano, church stuff and a home schooling group kick-off park day.  
I was trying to keep so many plates spinning and had to leave them all to go off the grid for the week.  


The first day, it was difficult for me.  I felt like I was being irresponsible.
Then, I decided to stop.  There was no cell service, no web access.  I had to put it all away.
So I did.


And I began to relax.  And I had fun.  And I forgot about all of my neglected plates.


It was absolutely medicine for the soul!


His soul, too.  He works so hard for our family and doesn't receive a lot of the reward.  
This week was good for him.


I am a lucky lady to be loved by a man such as he.


So, anyway, we had fun.  


We spent much of our time on the white sand beach and in the crystal clear water, but that wasn't the only way we spent our days.


The children also did a lot of this:


 I learned 14 years ago that I wasn't going to read when we went camping.  I still try, but rarely succeed.  
It is alright.  I'm delighted to provide for my children so that they can read.


One of the best parts of camping is the food.  A whole lot of cooking going on . . . and foods Mom doesn't usually prepare.  I love camping food, too!



This poor little girl had a rough week.  She was stung five times and, at one point, while running from the bees, stepped in the fire.  To add insult to injury, her chair broke and she had to sit with her bum on the dirt.
She still had fun.


A mother's job never ends.  Baby Boy and I did a lot of this:


In all, it was a great, great week.  We were rested, we had fun, we were together, together, together.
Every night we talked about our favorite things that had happened that day.  
Most of those favorite things involved the being together.


I LOVE my family.  I loved getting away from all the distractions so I could look at them and be with them and listen to them.  
It was good.

Last day, good friends.


He is going to be gone for a long, long time.  I can never regret any time taken to be all together.


One final, worst job of all:
securing the kayaks to the top of the Suburban.


YES!  Mission accomplished.
No children died in the packing of this vehicle.


When I got home, I had 16 phone messages and 84 emails.
Who says a mother doesn't work?
Good thing I had a healthy week of recharging so I could tackle it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment