Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Gaining Strength

A friend shared the following scripture at the beginning of a meeting recently:

And see that all these things are done in wisdom and aorder; for it is not requisite that a man should run bfaster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.  Mosiah 4:27

My usual response to that verse is gratitude for permission to let go of a few things, to center myself on those vital priorities again.

This time, though, I sat with slumped shoulders as I wondered aloud, "Then how do I get more strength because I can't cut anything out!"  


If I want to run faster or longer, I build up my strength over time.  After a while, I CAN run faster because I have more strength.  How does that translate into my day to day life?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I hit a time where I felt I could not run anymore. It was hard for me because I always felt like if I just juggled a bit faster or ran a bit harder I could do anything. Not anymore. I asked my husband for a blessing. I was hoping for specific answers of what to cut out or how I could handle more. Instead, the blessing told me that as I continued to try - my capacity would grow - and to delegate. Delegate - that has been a huge key in keeping up with 7 kids of all ages while homeschooling and helping a husband run a business. I have put more and more in my kid's hands. We sat down - wrote down all the chores - and split most of them between the kids. They got to choose which ones they wanted and so were more willing to help. - But they had to all be taken. Ended up in some negotiations. :) Another good skill. I only kept a few for myself so that I could focus on helping where I saw it was needed. I also have been working for several years on kids helping other kids with school. Some days are better than others but it definitely does free up some of my time.

    I have a friend that I adore who is very careful with herself while expecting a baby and for quite awhile afterwards as well. She has been through several bouts of depression. She has become an expert at delegating (asking for help) from those who care about her. She arranges for her kids to have play dates at family member's homes or friends' houses several times a week and then (during the times she is feeling up for it) lets all their kids come at the same time on one day to her house. A little crazy one day but lots of peaceful moments to get things done during other times. She also has learned to ask for the help she needs with all sorts of other things - organizing the house, wrapping presents, food. It's not easy to ask but does bless those that give service and usually when they love you - they are glad to know what would truly be of help to you.

    Good luck - I know you have a lot on your plate! Enjoy the joyful moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I've needed this. I hadn't thought of the concept of gaining more strength, and yet it is very real. I don't have any answers or even any great insights to share, but it has caused me to ponder how it applies to my own life. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete