Saturday, November 2, 2013

My Home

I just came home from a friend's house.  They had invited several families over for a luncheon after her son's baptism.  It was nice and fun and delicious, but I came home sad.

Deep breath.

I need to remind myself that even though I don't have a lovely house, I have many amazing things in my life.  I need to appreciate those things!

Last week, I came to the fairly sudden realization that I hate my house and it shows.  I've been so adamant on not spending any money on this pit because I'd rather save the money and put it toward the new house.  But I can't do that any more.  I'm not going to put in a new floor or replace the appliances, but I can spend money on some things.  I can buy and display things that will beautify our home and that will transfer well to the new house.  Even if we begin digging a foundation tomorrow, we'll still have five or six months in our trailer.

So, I bought this tablecloth:


I bought a new shower curtain that will look nice here and that can also hang in a new bathroom.  I bought hooks and lamps, pulled pictures and mirrors out of storage, repaired bookshelves and re-purposed baskets.  It is still a crappy trailer, but it is lovelier.  

I'm thankful for a home to keep us sheltered from the weather.  I'm thankful to not have a mortgage.  I'm thankful to have found a good and honest builder who is helping us navigate the building process.  I'm thankful for healthy children and a kind husband.  I'm thankful for books and movies that can help me see beyond.    

No comments:

Post a Comment