Sunday, December 22, 2013

In Route

He is on his way home.  I'm not especially nervous about something terrible happening when my son flies without me, but I am anxious that a flight will be delayed which will cause him to miss his connection or some other situation where a mom would come in handy.  When Isaac flies, I am checking the internet frequently.  He can't contact me, but I can watch him, so to speak.

One of my favorite tools is a sight called flightradar24.com.  My mom introduced me to it several years ago and it is my best friend while Isaac is in the not-always-friendly skies.  This is what it looks like:


At first glance it looks overwhelming and useless, but once you zoom in, it becomes a treasure trove of information.  You can follow a flight in real time, check that particular route's statistics (such-and-such flight was on time three times this week, on time twice and late twice), study up on connecting airports and more.

Right now, for instance, I know that he is flying over Warsaw which means he is about 3/4 of the way from Moscow to Zurich.  His flight took off about five minutes early and looks like it will be about that early landing.  This is important information because his layover is only 55 minutes--cutting it close for an unfamiliar airport in a foreign country, but it was better than a 19 hour layover!  I know the airplane that will be taking him to the United States has arrived and is at the gate.  All of this means I can go to bed and feel confident that all will be well.

Since we can't always communicate when he is traveling, it is nice for me to know about where he is, how his flights are going and whether or not he's going to have to run to get to his next gate.  It is also a good way for me to know when to jump in my car to go pick him up from the airport!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is amazing. And how super exciting to have him home for a short time! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete