Friday, January 10, 2014

Mega Fail

We joined a home school co-op last autumn.  At the time, they had four one-hour classes and a parent was required to participate in at least 3 of the 4 hours.  We could teach, co-teach, help with clean-up, do the books, etc.  It was a great schedule and the girls and I loved it.

For the months of January and February, the term is shorter so we are have two two-hour classes.  I volunteered to teach a choir/music class and was asked at the last minute to lead a pre-school/Kindergarten class about Beatrix Potter.  We started the day with Peter Rabbit and it went surprisingly well.  Ironically, the choir, about which I had had months to ponder and prepare was a total bomb.  

There were several factors:  First, I didn't know the ages of the students until I began class so I didn't know exactly what to prepare.  Second, the computer that I was relying on for several of the listening activities and games did not work.  Third, my younger two children were very naughty and took full advantage of the fact that Mom could not discipline when she was leading a class.  And fourth, there was one particular child who hi-jacked every single song or activity with a story or inapplicable and (often) misinterpreted Bible verse.

In the middle of an early attempt at harmony and pointing at my jeans, "You know, there is a verse in the Bible that says that a man shouldn't wear woman's clothes and a woman shouldn't wear man's clothes or you will PERISH!  Do you know what PERISH means?  It means you DIE!!"

De-rail.  

During another teaching moment, he, pushing his fingers into his ears and squishing up his eyes, declared, "Do you know what an ear fracture is?  It's when you have to listen to music that is too high!"

Erch.

Apparently angels kill people (by cutting off their heads with swords) to protect God and when Jesus comes again, he is going to take my ring, watch, bracelets and earrings.  

Crash.

I was flailing about, grasping at straws, falling back on Girl's Camp songs, for crying out loud, and still finally gave up 30 minutes early.  I sent the children to their mothers.  Two hours is just way too long for choir--especially with young children.

While we were cleaning up, gathering children and putting on coats, the president of the co-op let me know that my assistant asked to be in another class.  She had expected it to be more like the Children's Christmas Choir they had at her church.  (Apparently she had never seen the behind-the-scenes of choir rehearsals.)  

Nail in the coffin.

Some days, things just don't work the way you planned.  Oh, well.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- what a day. I'm not sure if this will help or not, (and this is coming from a person with a degree in Choral Music Education with K-12 certification), two hours is way too long for choir with young children. I was an assistant director with a very successful children's choir. The rehearsals included learning music repertoire, as well as theory games and instruction. They broke into smaller groups for some of the stuff and had two or three teachers that all did some of it. The rehearsals were still only 90 min. I'd recommend talking with the president of the co-op and seeing if you can work out something else for part of the time.

    ReplyDelete