Monday, May 19, 2014

Spring Soccer

It was a step out of my comfort zone, but we just spent some time on the field for Spring Soccer.


Being a theater/music/art type of person, I am not naturally comfortable on a field or court.  I did participate in sports as a youth, but was never amazing.  I mostly enjoyed running.  When one child in particular asked for the umpteenth time to play some sport, any sport, I knew I had to break out of my comfort zone.  
I enrolled three of my girls in soccer.


Some of the days were freezing cold and we shivered as we watched the sweaty players.  Other days were perfectly beautiful and we bathed in the sunlight (or ran around in the dandelions) while our players sweated even more!


I have to say that even though it was unfamiliar territory for all of us--especially for the older girls who were on teams with kids who had been playing together since the age of three--we quite enjoyed our time.


So much so that two of them want to play again in the fall!


The third?  Well, after several games, she came to me and declared, "I don't like soccer anymore!"  When I asked why, she said, "I didn't even get a trophy!"  I assured her that she would get a trophy at the end of the season.  She was happy about that until she got the trophy.  "Plastic!" she declared.  Gee whiz.  She was much more concerned about how she looked than how she played.  Well, you can't win them all!  


She did have fun, though, and they all got good exercise, made new friends and learned the rules of soccer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment