Sunday, May 4, 2014

Thought on a Sabbath Day

All ready for church.
A group of people were faithful to the Lord and obedient to His commandments.  They became prosperous and successful.  Then, there was the switch; instead of being grateful to the Lord for his blessings, they began to be proud of their riches.  They oppressed the poor and made a mock of sacred things.  Then comes this line:

          "And because of this their great wickedness, and their boastings in their own strength, 
they were left to their own strength." Helaman 4:13

This chilled me to the bone.  How many times have I decided that I, like a stubborn child, can do it by myself!, only to find myself really, actually trying to do it on my own?  What a devastating state in which to be!  Here I have a loving Father who wants to help me do a thing that He, in His eternal wisdom, knows I cannot do on my own and I refuse Him.  The verse goes on:

"Therefore, they did not prosper, but were afflicted and smitten, 
and driven before the Lamanites, until they had lost possession 
of almost all their lands."  Helaman 4:13

I never want to be caught in this trap.  I never want to be "left in my own strength."  I want to say, like Lehi of old, "I know in whom I have trusted."

My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; 
and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.  
He hath filled me with his love . . . 
He hath confounded mine enemies . . . 
He hath heard my cry.  
Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord and say: 
O Lord, I will praise thee forever; 
yea my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, 
and the rock of my salvation." 2 Nephi 4:19-23, 30


2 comments:

  1. We were just talking about this today..it seems like no matter what we do, we end up on our knees pleading for help one way or the other..I love that you brought up Lehi, he trusted so completely! Thank you for sharing in a way that only you can. I love you!

    ReplyDelete