Sunday, August 24, 2014

Inside the House

Come on in!


I took several pictures of our home's interior, but since it is only framed at this point, it is hard to tell one thing from the next.  I'll do my best to walk you around, but I won't feel bad if you skip this one.

Straight ahead, you'll see the stairs to go up. 


Just before the stairs, turn left and enter the library through the arch.
Every time someone talks about beautiful features of old houses, they talk about arches.  They are time consuming and, therefore, expensive.  I was thrilled that we were able to work one in!


I can't get over its beauty!
So, library with pocket doors that open into the living room.
I really wanted one area that is always tidy, always quiet and where we can invite guests--even surprise guests--to come inside.  The library answers those points and the pocket doors make it possible to open the whole living area up for Thanksgiving, weddings, reunions or other large gathering events.


Connected to the library by pocket doors, or by walking farther down the entry way, you come into the living room.
A fireplace will sit between the two windows.


Open to the living room is the dining room and kitchen.  I apparently did not take photos of that space, but it is pretty nondescript at this point.
Next to the kitchen is the laundry room 

Drama
and mud room, separated by the back door.
There is a little powder room at the end of the mud room.
That's for all of you when you come to see me.


The last corner of the main floor is the master bedroom.
Because we are masters.


Heading upstairs . . .


. . . we find two girls' bedrooms . . .


. . . that are really high off the ground!


Pretty much as soon as this window was up, I went to my computer and found a fire escape ladder.
Freak me out, why don't you!
In the hallway that connects the two bedrooms, 


we used up some of the wasted space by adding giant closets.


These were not planned, but, with four girls, I'm sure the space will be used.  We're going to get rid of dressers and build super efficient closet systems.  I'm gonna really, really try to make this an organized space because I will try to avoid the inevitable: The closets will probably be the biggest disasters in the house.

Also upstairs is the girls' bathroom.


With their own throne room.
This bathroom can easily accommodate all four girls getting ready at the same time.
My life is about to make an about-face.


Back down the stairs.


And down to the basement where there is nothing to see,
but where it is cool and there are mill ends.


And giant mystery bugs!


There you have it!  A house, a house!
We really have a house!

This week:
trim paint, plumbers, roofers
and more rocks to pick.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!! I've really loved finally being in a home where I can have a front/sitting room that stays tidy (at least most of the time), but I've never thought about making the library be that room- what a great idea!! And I like the idea of getting rid of dressers and having awesomely organized closets. Thanks for the tour- it's so fun to see it all come together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wish I could walk through but this was the next best thing. I love the arch! So, where are the boys going to sleep?

    ReplyDelete