Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Dirt Be Gone!

I wish it were as easy as chanting a magic spell, but, alas, I do not possess magic.

Remember these?

Great heaping mounds that the children quickly turned into fortresses?


Piles that blocked every view and laid waste to my peaceful mountain meadow.


After hours and hours in the backhoe,
I am happy to report that
the massive piles of subsoil are removed from sight.


Here, for the first time, is full, clear shot of the back of our house!
Ta Da!


We still have some (eternal) rock picking to do and we'll spread a layer of topsoil over it all to make a back yard.  But look how flat it is!!


From the living room window you can now see our outdoor fireplace.
I just ordered 72 lavender plants from a wholesaler in Sequim, WA.  
That place is pronounced "Skwim." 
Anyway, the idea is that there will be a four-foot deep bed of lavender (the black landscape fabric) around the little fireplace courtyard.
I already made the concrete counters that will top rock legs (which I will build in my spare time) so that we can have permanent tables out there.
So many ideas.


Also, with the dirt removed, we can see the waterfall that is forming at the northeast corner of the property.
You can't really tell from this picture, but it is going to be a beaut.
I think.
I hope.


Inside, the HVAC guys have been hard at work this week.
That is pronounced the H-vac guys, not the aged-fat guys, like several people thought I said.
I began calling them the H-V-A-C guys so that no one could think I was calling them names.
But, anyway, LOOK!


Another fireplace!  This one is gas.  
Having it there makes the living room seem more grounded and less floaty, if that makes sense.  
I'm planning on building the rock surround out of the gorgeous and plentiful free rocks on our property.  I was nervous about it until I realized I was nervous because I don't want our contractor (who has strict standards and isn't shy about sharing his design tastes) to think it looks homemade or sloppy.  Why do I get myself so worked up about what other people will think?!  I know I can build something that will make Justin and I happy and will fit the woodland cottage feel of the house.  Everyone else doesn't have to like it!

Meanwhile, time marches on and I am trying to squeeze every precious minute out of my baby.
He will be 18 months old in a few days
and I'm not quite ready for that to happen.



3 comments:

  1. I really admire your get it done attitude toward your house projects. It gives me courage to do hard things. I also love that your creativity goes into most of what you do. Your children are blessed to have such a hard working and giving mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- it's so exciting to see it all coming together!! I am amazed at all your great ideas. And I seriously want to come visit you when it's all done- is that too weird since we've never really met? My baby is two and growing up much faster than I'm ready for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure got the pronounciation right! I'm sure they'll appreciate you calling them "hardworking", so you don't have to worry about that too much. Anyway, your house is shaping up quite nicely. You must be very excited as it comes nearer to completion. Good day!

    Dennis Cannon @ Laird & Son Heating & Air-Conditioning

    ReplyDelete