Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Epiphany

I was preparing to teach a lesson to the 14 and 15 year old girls at my church.
The topic was Creating a Christ-Centered Home.

My first thoughts were to the easy and obvious: hang pictures of Christ and play uplifting music.  The next most obvious were having scriptures a part of your regular day, frequent and sincere prayer, and other personal and family religious observances.  It quickly grew into the importance of temple attendance, paying of tithes and offerings, serving others, researching family history, avoiding gossip and developing charity, avoiding contention, and so on and so forth.

How am I supposed to teach any of those things with any kind of effectiveness in my allotted 30-35 minutes?!  Additionally, how can I choose just one of those attributes to emphasize without neglecting all of the other essential attributes?

After prayer and pondering, my answer came:

How can I establish a Christ-centered home?

I must establish a Christ-centered ME!

If I am focused on my Savior, I am going to want to be with Him through scripture study and prayer.  I'm going to want paintings that celebrate Him and His teachings portrayed in my home.  I will automatically try harder to obey His commandments, including paying tithing, keeping the Sabbath Day holy, and developing talents.  Above all, charity will become a part of me in such a way that I truly love my neighbor and try to serve those around me.  I will come to him with a broken heart and contrite spirit to repent with I fall short and I will envelop myself within His grace and I will teach my children in faith.

And so, these holiday weeks, I remember that Christ was not just a baby; He is the creator of the world and Savior of our souls.  He is the perfect example, the friend and mediator that all of us so desperately need.


No comments:

Post a Comment