Monday, December 29, 2014

Homemade Play Kitchen

We had a play kitchen once before. Good money was paid for the thing and yet it fell apart.  When it came time to have another, I decided solid oak was the way to go.  
We found this entertainment center on Craigslist for a song.


Over the course of several weeks, I squeezed in time to turn it into this:


I'm sorry about the horrible pictures.  My photo-taking tools are craptastic.
The kitchen is intended for our 6 year old daughter, but knowing there is a boy coming up right behind her, I wanted a gender-neutral kitchen.
Why, for heaven's sake, if we want to have equality and go on and on about it, do we still sell kitchens to little girls and tools to little boys?  Honestly makes me CRAZY.  I spray painted some of the store-bought stuff so that they weren't pink and girly.  Cooking is for everyone!

I'll step off my soap box now.

But, really. What's the deal?


The electric coils are drip-line irrigation tubing. $5 for three times as much as I needed.  
I can use the rest as, you guessed it, drip-line!  Ha!


The faucet is an actual faucet that was on some clearance table.  
The sink is a generic steel bowl you can find everywhere.  
I didn't glue it in on purpose . . . I'm sure it will be filled with all kinds of "recipes" that will need to be washed out.


Under the sink is a bottle of Kitchen Cleaner (water).
Wishful thinking?  Probably.


The former CD/DVD shelving was torn out and replaced with wooden shelves to form a pantry;
a larger pantry than the one in my actual kitchen.

The stainless steel fridge is actually contact paper!  It is thin, like regular contact paper, so I used shipping tape around the edges to protect it and to keep it from peeling.

Let's hope this kitchen lasts a bit longer than the last one!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've pinned kitchen-from-entertainment-center remakes like this on Pinterest for future reference (none of my kids seem interested in play kitchens...maybe grandkids?), but this is the best configuration I've seen.Good call on the non-glued in sink.

    ReplyDelete