Friday, December 26, 2014

Leavenworth; Day One

It is a lot of work to get eight people out the door, the dog settled and the house clean before a trip.

We did it.

Amazingly.


Our permitted eldest drove most of the way (in Dad's sunglasses).  He is doing a great job with the driving and it will be so nice to have someone else play taxi driver!

Most of the terrain between our house and our destination is ugly right now.  It is pretty in the spring and early summer when the fields are green and waving and the fruit trees are in bloom.
But in the middle of a snow-less winter, it is ugly.  I mean, to be fair, there are some pretty terrific geological vistas.  It is hard for me to see past the brown and dead, I guess.


Cute passenger.
(For the record, I didn't notice is poorly buckled car seat until just now when I saw the picture on the computer screen vs the little camera screen.)


After the getting ready and the drive, we were ready to settle in.  We drove through the super cute town (more on that later), and got checked into our hotel.
It is the same hotel that my husband and I checked into 17 years ago on our honeymoon.  
Seven children, a doctoral degree three house purchases and the building of another house later, we checked in again.  
My goodness.


We tossed dinner in the crock pot, took a tour, went swimming, took baths, got into our pajamas and piled into the beds.  I made everyone cocoa and popcorn while we waited for our dinner to finish cooking.


Then we turned on White Christmas, the last Christmas movie I really wanted to see this season, but hadn't yet had the chance.


After the movie and dinner, I read some of Dickens' Christmas Carol.  
It is a favorite . . .
of mine.  
The children haven't quite learned to love the flowery, wordy style of Charles, but he and I go way back.


So much to do, so much to see!
Tomorrow, tomorrow, we will fit it all in tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment