Monday, December 1, 2014

The Power of a Clean Sink

Do you know what this is?
It is an empty sink.
That's right, folks, she did it.  WE did it, but mostly, SHE did it.  One month and I had a clean sink every day--except for that one fork or mug or butter knife that was always discovered after the water was drained.  It didn't bother me.  I wasn't striving to be nuts, just cleaner.  We also swept and vacuumed nearly every day--which meant the floors were clean enough to be swept and vacuumed.

A funny thing happened:  after the sink was cleaned, it was just a moment of my time to wash off the counters, the table, and the stove.  The goal of washing my dishes every day before I hit the hay turned out to be a clean kitchen every day.  A clean kitchen encouraged the rest of the family to pitch in and tidy up other areas--it never got too bad because we had just cleaned it.

"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not unto men."  Colossians 3:23

You can laugh at me and shake your head at my weakness, but I know this was a big deal for our family.  There were times when I got a late start (one night I started hand washing the dishes for a family of eight at 11:30 PM!). I'm not gonna lie; there were a few prayers said to keep this goal. One night specifically, I was chanting this verse as I alone stood cleaning the house after everyone else had gone to bed.

I'll never be a sparkling house keeper because it's not my thing.  I don't mind that--I do other things well.  What I don't want is a crazy mother for my children and children who grow up to be messy fathers and mothers.  If dedicating my work to my Heavenly Father is my only motivation, that is a pretty good motivation.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!!! Way to go, Emily!!! This is a constant struggle for me too so I can appreciate what it means to accomplish this goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I too, struggle with a clean house. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your success! Today I went to a ballet put on by Ballet West, and couldn't help thinking of Isaac! Such an amazing, beautiful expression! Today was my first official Nutcracker experience. Breathtaking! Oh how I love your family and LOVE watching the progression of your home. The front door is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no laughing or shaking heads over here, just admiration. I rarely go to bed with a clean sink, and when I do it's because Shay has done the dishes. ;)

    ReplyDelete