Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A Year of Preparedness Skills

I was in a class recently where the question was asked:  
Do your children know how to use a lighter?

Uh, no.  They know how to use the long lighters with a trigger and they know how to swipe a match on a rock, but they don't know that tricky function of igniting a lighter.
The thing is, I'm sure they could all do it with no problem, but they've never been given the opportunity.
I decided that I would make sure and show them how to do that.

That got me thinking about all the preparedness skills that aren't necessarily difficult, but that a parent should teach a child.
Skills such as finding dry wood when it's raining, how to treat shock, how to use and sharpen an ax, how to sew on a patch or a button, what to do in a stranded car, how and where to shut off the water and gas, and how to use a fire extinguisher.  
Then I made a goal.

My 2015 New Year's Resolution is to teach my children one new preparedness skill each week--or most weeks.  
(I know how life goes and I don't want to beat myself up for missing a week because of sickness or vacation or Mom's Grumpy.)

We started last week.  I'd found these instructions on Pinterest on how to make 50 hour candles on the cheap.
I'd never made candles before, but we lose electricity frequently out here in the woods so I thought it would be a good idea.

Placing wicks.
Melting the wax flakes.  I put a #10 can in a pot of water since
I don't want to buy a fancy candle making set-up.
I bent a spout with pliers.
It worked well.


Almost melted.  Don't stir or you'll have bubbles--at least that's what other people told me.
While we were waiting for the wax to melt (we did several batches because I bought 10 pounds of soy flakes), we had our Family Home Evening lesson:

After the wax, we used tinfoil lids to hold the wicks in the middle of the candle.

The wax begins to solidify.
After a couple of hours, we had 24 candles!  
We didn't add scent because if we are living by candle light, I'm sure the heavy scent of a room full of candles will get a bit heavy.
After the candles were cooled completely, we trimmed the wicks, replaced the lids and have them stored in the kitchen where we can access them easily without light.


This was the easiest thing ever and we all learned a new skill!  

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me. You are an awesome mother and great example to me. Thank you for sharing this and thanks for being a friend.

    ReplyDelete