Friday, February 20, 2015

Front Porch Changes

 Here is the front porch a few weeks ago.


And here it is today.
(No, that one corner of siding is still not completed. Grrr.)


The weather has been unseasonably warm here so I was able to stain the front door and the beams.
These giant beams are so beautiful that I really didn't want to mess them up by using the wrong product.  
I've seen outdoor wood flake, fade, turn white and rot because of the use of the wrong product.
I searched online for, I'm not kidding, 2 hours to discover the best way to treat and protect the wood only to be more confused than ever.
I finally called a local guy and asked him what to use.
4.5 minutes later I had all the information I needed.
After removing any seeping pitch with acetone, I scrubbed it all down with soapy water and a stiff brush.
Justin took a wire brush and took off some of the greasy and muddy stains from the lift used to heft the beams in place.  Everything was hosed down thoroughly and allowed to dry.

My "helper."
Then, I stained using Sherwin-Williams' Woodscapes.
I think they turned out nicely. 

Also, just for fun, here is a little treat that showed up!
The corbels for my fireplace mantle.  Aren't they gorgeous?!

Welp, I'm headed back out.  Justin got about half of the interior primed yesterday so I'm going to get my brushes moving.  More pictures when I have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment